Is this Your Final Year of Study? Make it Count.
Your final year of university is an important one. Not only is it the culmination of your many years of hard work but it is a time to consolidate your learning and to start to think about what next. But it’s also a time to make sure you’ve got the most out of your time at CDU, to build and strengthen the networks and relationships you’ve already developed and to really make your time here count. So here’s some ideas to really help you make the most of your final year.
- Make connections. Many of the connections you make through university will stand you in good stead for the rest of your professional life. Lecturers, librarians, mentors, tutors or other professionals you meet through the CDU community, themselves have connections in the professional world, so get to know them well – you never know where it might lead. Get to know your fellow students well also. As well as developing lifelong friendships, it can stand you in good stead to have allies on your post - university, professional journey.
- Have experiences. Once you leave university and your professional life takes off, you may find it difficult to find the time to take the opportunity to experience all the social, extra-curricular and learning experiences that being part of a university community affords. So make the most of your time. Sign up for university clubs, get involved on campus and off campus activities and connect with as many people as you can.
- Find balance. It can prove to be overwhelming when you’re juggling study commitments, family commitments, work and more. However it is extremely important to find balance in your life – whatever you’re doing. Ensure you make time for rest, relaxation and fun!
- Enjoy it. University life can be an extremely fulfilling. Don’t get too caught up in the stress of assignment deadlines, exams or other study commitments. Take time to celebrate your achievements (however large or small) and enjoy all the things that university life has to offer.
- Get perspective. Remember that your time at university is relatively short in the grand scheme of things. Your time studying makes up for only a small part of your life. So while it’s important to make the most of it, remember that it does not define you, nor do your accomplishments or failures. Cultivate a rich and fulfilling life through experience outside of university
Use resources. CDU offers a wide range of resources to help you learn, study and get the most out of your university experience, before during and after. So make the most of them. Don’t forget to use the CDU bookshop as a resource. Our staff are so knowledgeable, and it’s the only place to pick up mementos of your CDU journey before you leave
Got some other ideas? How are you going to make your final year count?