The perfect recipe for rainy wet season nights or when friends pop over for an evening study session.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil ( you can also use olive or peanut oil )
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2-2teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tbsp flour
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp shredded ginger ( fresh is best)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1cup chicken stock
- 1cup milk
- ½ kg chicken, diced,
- I cup of mixed vegetables (capsicum/broccoli/snow peas/Chinese cabbage/mushroom/bok choy – whatever you have in the fridge)
- 1⁄2teaspoon lemon juice
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- 3- 4 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil over low heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan or wok
- Sauté onion ,curry power and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes
- Blend in flour, salt, sugar and ground ginger. Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbles
- Add chicken and lightly brown.
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in chicken stock and milk
- Return to heat, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute until mixture thickens.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add vegetables
- Allow to simmer on low heat for 20 minutes
10.Spoon Chicken Curry over the cooked rice and serve with accompaniments on the side so everyone can top as desired.
NB: You can also replace the chicken with prawn or fish or just add tofu and more veggies for a vegetarian option.
These are up to you but any of these will add another dimension to your curry.
Chutney, tomato wedges, raisins, slivered almonds, chopped salted peanuts, sautéed onion rings, pineapple, chopped hard cooked eggs, crispy bacon bits, pickles (sweet or sour), flaked coconut, sliced avocado, natural yogurt