Following the recent publication of the first-ever Australian Curriculum: Geography for Years F–12, primary school teachers are expected to play a key role in implementing the curriculum in Australian schools – yet most primary teachers are not geography scholars, and many will lack confidence in teaching the subject due to their uncertainty about what it entails. Understanding and Teaching the Australian Curriculum: Geography for Primary Schools is designed to ease the burden of primary teachers by showing them how to understand and use the curriculum they are being asked to teach. Features of the book include:
* analysis of every content description in the Australian Curriculum: Geography for Years F–6, as well as most of the accompanying elaborations
* guidance on how content prescribed at each year level can be organised and amalgamated, saving teacher time and energy while ensuring integrated instruction of Australian Curriculum-identified concepts for developing geographical understanding
* links with related content descriptions from other Australian Curriculum learning areas, including science, maths and history
* citations of useful learning resources and sources of information for both teachers and students
* charts outlining the relationship between Australian Curriculum: Geography content descriptions and the Achievement Standards for each year
* ideas on how to extend the curriculum and exploit its potential for stimulating the learning and development of students.
By unpacking the Australian Curriculum: Geography in terms of that non-geographers can easily understand, this book takes work out of standards-aligned geography instruction, proving that geography is an interesting and important subject which imparts essential understandings and skills and contributes to the personal and social development of young children.
50 Literacy Strategies for Beginning Teachers, 1-8, Third Edition, features 50 instructional strategies pre-service and...
This book explores thinking about teaching and learning as an educative process. It is about...