This unit looks at the principles that the Australian courts apply to civil cases in which there may be links to foreign countries or to more than one Australian jurisdiction. This unit is highly relevant for students who plan to go into legal practice. This unit covers topics including:
- the jurisdiction of Australian courts
- when and why Australian courts exercise jurisdiction
- the Australian complementary cross-vesting legislation
- an introduction to theory and method in choice of law
- choice of law in particular areas of law, such as contract and tort.
PRESCRIBED TEXT - PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL LAW IN AUSTRALIA